The "1914-1918-online" encyclopedia combines two main features: international expertise in research and the advantages of the Internet's hypertextuality and open access.
- Wide-ranging international scholarly perspectives of an editorial board and external referees comprising more than 100 experts
- Cooperation with a variety of international partners
- State-of-the-art transnational research on WWI, including hitherto neglected areas
- High academic quality, ensured by a two-step review process
- multimedia-enriched articles, including photos, digitized primary sources and literature
- innovative navigation scheme based on a Sematic Web concept that provides versatile access routes through the encyclopedia's contents
- worldwide accessibility by publishing in English under the Open Access paradigm